Saturday, May 29, 2010

Our Portion Forever



Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Who have I in heaven, but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 73:23-26

This song was written by Asaph, a leader of one of the temple choirs. Asaph declares his confidence in God's presence and guidance. From birth to death God has us continually in His grasp. But far more, we have a hope of resurrection. Though our courage and strength may fail, we know that one day we will be raised to life in Him in order to serve Him forever. He is our security, and we must cling to Him, as we trust in Him every day. As we go through life, as we become older in this life, as we gain wisdom, we realize as Solomon did that everything on earth is fleeting: wealth, fame, material possessions. None are fulfilling. None can bring happiness. All are temporary. As we spend time with God, we realize that only He and His desires for us are what give our lives true meaning and purpose. We must look to Him for strength today and everyday. He is our portion forever.

God bless you,

J.H.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment