Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Perfect Gift


I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend to them and be their shepherd. I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the Lord have spoken. I'll make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of wild beasts so that they may live in the desert and sleep in the forests in safety. I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send out showers in season; there will be showers of blessing.

Ezekiel 34:23-26

A bad shepherd is not only selfish, but destructive. A minister who muddies the waters for others by raising unnecessary doubts, teaching false ideas, and acting sinnfully is destroying his flocks' spiritual nourishment. When our leaders fail us, we must not despair, but remember that God is in control and that He promises to return and care for His flock. Thus, we know that we can turn to God for help in all things. He is still in control, and can transform any tragic situation in order to produce good for His kingdom. In contrast to the present evil shepherds (leaders) of God's people, God has sent a perfect shepherd, the Messiah, who will take care of every need and His people have and set up a kingdom of perfect peace and justice. "Peace" here means more than just the absence of conflict. It is contentment, fulfillment, and security. That is part of God's will for us all. He desires for us be content, fulfilled and secure in our present circumstances, whatever they may be. We often say to ourselves, "Why me? I deserve better than this!" No, we don't. As sinners, and in the sight of a perfect, all-knowing God, we don't deserve much at all. And yet, in His Love for us, He has given us life. Declare a more perfect gift than that.

God Bless you,

J.H.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment