Saturday, July 24, 2010

Flax Snaps



Brown flax may be good for you, but it looks like..., well it doesn't look like anything you ought to put in your mouth!
Yellow flax on the otherhand is every bit as good for you and in contrast to brown flax it begs to be eaten. Roasted, it reminds me of sesame seed. When I think of sesame seed I get hungry for sesame snaps. I had to try making flax snaps, and they are really good and very simple. So here is the recipe.
(Btw, flax is bigger roasted so to get 11/2 cups roasted flax,  roast a little more than a cup of raw flax.)

1 heaping teaspoon margarine

2 cups sugar
11/2-2 cups roasted golden flax

First prepare a surface to roll it out on, also oil your rolling pin and pizza cutter. The first time I made these I buttered an arborite counter and rolled them out on it. That was NOT smart! The mixture is very hot when you dump it from the pan, and very sticky...they didn't come off that surface very easily! This time I used a thin plexi-glass sprayed with pam.
Anyways, it is important to have that all laid out because once the sugar is melted and the flax is mixed in you have to work VERY quickly to roll it out and cut it before it hardens.
Over medium/low heat melt the margarine and sugar. It's best not to stir it too much, and keep the heat low enough that you melt, not burn the sugar. I melt the margarine first so it covers the bottom of the pan. I don't know if that helps. When it is all melted quickly mix in the flax, roll it out thin and cut with the pizza cutter. Remember you have to work quickly. And that is all there is to it.

And of course for the best golden flax available visit Grandma Lou at Mcdougall Acres! http://www.mcdougallacres.com/
Edit, feb. 2013
Making these is so stupid simple, and yet it is a bit of an art, melting the sugar takes patience, getting them rolled out and cut quickly enough takes a practice batch...but I have figured out what works best for rolling them out on...silicone cookie sheets are definately the ONLY way to go!

3 comments:

  1. I edited out the lemon juice and corn syrup...I like just the sugar/margarine best. I also tried rolling them out on wax paper. It pretty much fuses to the wax paper...which isn't such a bad thing, I pulled off as much wax paper as I could, the rest of it that is fused you don't even know it is there...bonus fiber I guess!
    You really do have to work quickly to get these rolled out and cut. A little more flax is good, but 11/2 cups mixes in quickly so you can dump it out of the pan quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them and they are addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silicone cookie sheets are definately the way to go for rolling these out on!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment