Sunday, April 22, 2012

Toviel Microwave Fudge Mix



Psalm 135:3
Praise the LORD, for the LORD is good;
sing praise to his name, for that is pleasant.
 
As I ponder publishing my "secret formula" I can't help but think of the events that led to it's discovery and of all the spiritual analogies I could draw from the process. I'm a poor story teller tho so I'll just try to give you the facts in a nut shell and leave the analogies for someone else. I really need to get this written down, if only for my own benifit, my memory is short and I really don't want to go through the process of re-learning all this if I ever feel inclined to make fudge mix again!
  Almost two years ago I came across a delicious fudge recipe...what was most unique about it was the fact that it was a dry mix...ie you could gift the mix to someone and when they wanted fresh fudge all they need to do is add water and microwave.Chef tess Magic Fudge
I loved the recipe but it called for powdered butter (we made it with margarine).  I wanted to make the mix to give as gifts...but here in Canada powdered butter is simply not available and ordering it in from the U.S. isn't an option since the tarrif can be as high as 300%. Making any to give away just wasn't an option!
 Last fall when my two daughters registered for summer missions in Africa and my wife and son registered for an easter break mission to Mexico we started looking at ideals for fundraisers. Fudge mix was one of the ideals.  I gave alot of thought to how I could get powdered butter or some other powdered form of milk fat that would  be economical enough to make a microwaveable fudge mix we could sell.  One day the ideal came to me...how to make a fudge mix with the ingredients I have available. I'm pretty sure it came straight from God, because I wouldn't have come up with the ideal on my own if I live to be 100! I took that as a sure sign that it was something God would have us do for our fundraising so we wasted no time aquiring the ingredients, the bags, printing the labels and making 150 pounds of fudge mix!  Well God is good, and the funds have been coming in...but as for our fudge mix, mostly I've been giving it away!  Sometimes I think  "Why Lord?, what is the point of this fudge mix?"  but really, what could be better, God has given us something good and we can share it. Does it get any better than that?   Fitting I suppose for something we call Toviel (Goodness of my God) Fudge. Somethings are just meant to be free and are just too good not to share!

Toviel Microwave Fudge Mix

4 cups Powdered sugar (600g)
1 1/2 cups of chocolate mini chips (300g)
3/4 cup cocao (22-24%) (100g)Cocao Barry
1/3 cup coffeemate coffee creamer (40g)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla powderGround Vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
A tiny pinch of cayenne pepper

-Mix the ingredients well. My measurements are leveled but not packed cups and in the case of the chocolate chips a slightly rounded but NOT a heaped cup! It becomes very important when you go to prepare the fudge because if the water/mix ratio is high the fudge may have the consistency of a fudge icing, if the water/mix ratio is low it will be  difficult to mix and pour. I believe high fat cocoa contributes substantially to the success of the fudge...tho I haven't tested it with a 10/12% cocao. I use compound mini chips, they are very economical and they seem to work well. I have  used large milk chocolate chips as well (I ground them in the food processor) and that worked well too..

To Prepare the Mix:
Place the mix in a microwave safe mixing bowl, add 2/3 cup water (measure carefully!) You will not be able to mix it much at this point....so microwave it on high for 3 minutes, mix well and return to the microwave for an additional 1minute 30 seconds.  Mix and pour into the 8"x13" lightly oiled cake pan that you prepared ahead of time.  Let the fudge set.

This recipe will make about 3 pounds of fudge...which is lots. If you wish to divide the mix into two equal portions then prepare each portion as such : add  1/3 cup water,  microwave for two minutes on high, mix well, return to the microwave for one minute, mix and pour.
The microwave times work well for microwave ovens in the 500-800watt range. If your microwave is more powerful then you can reduce the microwave times somewhat. This mix does not need to boil, it simply needs to melt.
 We have the use of a comercial scale so we also packaged it in a diet size 210gram package. 210 grams requires two tablespoons (30ml) of water and the microwave time is reduced to 1 minute on high, mix and return to microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
  That is about all I have to say about that.

Psalm 34:8
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

2 comments:

  1. Umm, sounds good. You'd think that would be a popular item around the holidays, or at bake sales or craft fairs. Did you try that--or do they have those things in Canada? It's amazing how well 4-H kids and others do with bake sales. The local grocery stores are very generous about letting kids set up their table of goodies in the front of their stores. They usually sell out in a matter of a couple hours. (A couple times a year or so.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were experimenting with this recipe on of the important criteria was ecomomy...but I realize that we aren't always making a hundred pounds and also not every kitchen has an electronic scale to measure the mix to the gram...one way to ensure good results...increase the chocolate chips by 1/2 cup...leave the water the same

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment