Friday, March 12, 2010

Righteousness And Humility in Prayer


The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: "God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get." But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. Luke 18:11-14


The Pharisee did not go to the temple to pray to God, but to announce to all within earshot how good he was. The tax collector went recognizing his sin and begging for mercy. Self-righteousness is dangerous. It leads to pride, causes a person to despise others, and prevents him or her from learning anything from God. The tax collector's prayer should be our prayer, because we all need God's mercy everyday. Don't let pride in your achievements cut you off from God. The tax collector's prayer is the prayer that brings peace. Pray it now! When we acknowledge to God what we are, He immediately shows us what He will do. Jesus said, "Him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out."

God Bless you, J.H.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment