Friday, April 15, 2011

Goat Tell It On The Mountain! The Goat Raffle!

a>2Bpluto%2B220.JPG"> My youngest daughter Barbara will be spending her summer this year on a short term mission to Trinidad. The mission is organized by Teen Missions International, and part of the program is raising your own support. It is a daunting task and a huge undertaking for a thirteen year old. Teen Missions has been a huge help by providing us with mail out resources and suggestions for fundraising. The support we have recieved has been a tremendous encouragement for Barbara and the whole family. One day as I was walking to get the mail I was talking to God. We have had great support and a good response to our mail outs...but I was questioning if there was something more we should be doing, we still had a long way to go to meet the goal. I asked God that if there was something more we should do to raise Barbara's support, to open my eyes to it. When I got home I googled "fund raising ideals" and one of the first things I saw was "Goat Raffle". We liked the ideal! We decided we would sell 3 tickets for $5.00. Most people don't really care to win a goat...so they buy tickets for some one they would like to see win a goat! Some folks really REALLY dont want to win a goat, so we sold "Goat Insurance" for $10.00. Buying our goat insurance meant that they were protected against winning the goat. Pictured above with the goat is one of Barbara's friends who helped in the door to door campaign to sell tickets. Barbara, Marianna, Tim, and a few friends of Barbara to whom we are so thankful spent 3 days selling tickets door to door. 2Bpluto On tuesday we took the goat to school, and Barbara's classmates witnessed the draw! Today, friday was Goat Giving Day!

The goat was very pleased, and after Angela got over the shock...she seemed happy too...but in the end she donated the goat back to us. Perhaps donated isn't the right word, Angela made a very generous donation towards Barbaras support and said "Stan, please take this goat back!" And so I did!
We had a few runners up so on the way home I stopped to offer them the prize!




Kelly Peters and Jamie Hubbard of Caronport High School declined the prize. BJ Harvey of CJay trailers declined as well! But in the end I am convinced that there were no losers in this raffle, only winners. I can't begin to tell you how much fun we have had with this, and I can't express the gratitude I feel for the support our little community has shown for Barbara. It has been such an encouragement...and the goat...truth is I really like him and he really likes me...I'm grateful to the farmer I called, when I explained why I wanted a goat, he understood right away and he gave me the goat he thought would be the best! In the end we raised just over $1000!! Thank you Caronport, Thank you McDougall Acres!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize until very recently...if you click on the picture it opens up larger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, sounds like it was a lot of work. They always are.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment