Saturday, April 30, 2011

No Grey Area


"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:3
There are few verses in Scripture that describe eternal life, but these few verses are rich with promise. This good Word from the Lord, Himself, makes it clear that He is coming again to receive those for whom He has prepared a wonderful place. We can look forward to eternal life because Jesus has promised it to all who believe in Him. Although the details of eternal life are unknown, we need not fear because Jesus is preparing for us and will spend eternity with us. Last year, I had a conversation with my oldest son, who is now 18 years old, regarding eternal life. He said that the concept of eternal life scared him. He couldn't wrap his mind around it. The idea of living forever was mind-boggling. And on the surface, I agree with him. It is mind-boggling, and I don't think anyone short of Albert Einstein can formulate a proper understanding of it. Regardless, the most important thing to understand concerning eternal life is that it actually exists. And according to the Bible, people are either going to spend eternity in Heaven or in hell. And people don't like to hear that. People don't like the idea that they will one day be judged. People can argue and disagree with the Bible all they want, but here is the truth: either the Bible is all true or it isn't. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing passages that we like or agree with or fit our lifestyles. Either God means what He says, or He doesn't. Either Jesus is who He says He is, or He isn't. There is no middle ground. There is no grey area. Many people around the world will speak of Jesus as a great historical figure and a great moral teacher, but that's it. Hogwash! Look what Jesus says in John 14:6 . . . "I am the way , and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you would know my Father as well." And again in John 15:5 . . . "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." And again in John 17:24 . . . "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have give me because you loved me before the creation of the world." Do these sound like the teachings of a great, moral teacher? There is no gray area, no wiggle room in any of these passages to pick and choose what works for you individually. Here is the truth: either Jesus is exactly who He says He is, or He was a complete lunatic. And that is exactly who the Pharisees saw Him as and that is why He was crucified on the cross. Jesus was very bold in this teachings and He was killed for it. He left no doubt in the minds of His followers, nor His enemies about who He was. I pray that all doubt is removed in your mind as well, and that you know exactly where you are going. There is no grey area. God Bless you and keep you, J.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment