Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Who Am I?


Since you are a saint in Christ by God's calling, you share in Christ's inheritance. That which is true of Christ is now true of you, because you are in Christ. It's part of your identity. The list below itemizes in first-person language who you really are in Christ. These are some of the scriptural traits which reflect who you become when you accept Christ into your heart. You can't earn them or buy them any more than a person born in America can earn or buy the rights and freedoms he enjoys as an American citizen. They are guaranteed to him by the Constitution simply because he was born in the United States. Similarly, these traits are guaranteed to you by the Word of God simply because you were born into God's holy nation by faith in Christ.

Who am I?

I am a salt of the earth. (Matthew 5:13)

I am the light of the world. (Matthew 5:14)

I am a child of God. (John 1:12)

I am part of the true vine, the channel of Christ's life. (John 15:1,5)

I am Christ's friend. (John 15:15)

I am chosen and appointed by Christ to bear his fruit. (John 15:16)

I am a slave of righteousness. (Romans 6:18)

I am enslaved to God. (Romans 6:22)

I am a son of God; God is spiritually my Father. (Romans 8:14, 15; Galatians 3:26; 4:6)

I am a joint heir with Christ, sharing his inheritance with him. (Romans 8:17)

I am a temple - a dwelling place-of God. His spirit and His life dwells in me. (1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19)

I am united to the Lord and am one spirit with Him.(1 Corinthians 6:17)

I am a member of Christ's body. (1 Corinthians 12:27; Ephesians 5:30)

I am a new creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I am reconciled to God and am a minister of reconciliation. (2 Corinthians 5:18, 19)

I am the son of God and one in Christ. (Galatians 3:26, 28)

I am an heir of God, since I am a son of God. (Galatians 4:6, 7)

I am a saint. (Ephesians 1:1)

I am God's workmanship-his handiwork-born anew in Christ to do his work. (Ephesians 2:10)

I am a fellow citizen with the rest of God's family. (Ephesians 2:19)

I am a prisoner of Christ. (Ephesians 3:1, 4:1)

I am righteous and holy. (Ephesians 4:24)

I am a citizen of heaven, seated in heaven right now. (Ephesians 2:6)

I am hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:3)

I am an expression of the life of Christ because he is my life. (Colossians 3:4)

I am chosen of God, holy and dearly love. (Colossians 3:12)

I am the son of light and not of darkness. (1 Thessalonians 5:5)

I am a holy partaker of a heavenly calling. (Hebrews 3:1)

I am a partaker of Christ; I share, in his life. (Hebrews 3:14)

I am one of God's living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house. (1 Peter 2:5)

I am a member of a chosen race, all royal priesthood, a holy nation, people for God's own possession. (1 Peter 2:9, 10)

I am an alien in stranger to this world in which I temporarily live. (1 Peter 2:11)

I am an enemy of the devil. (1 Peter 5:8)

I am a child of God and I'll resemble Christ when he returns. (1 John 3:1, 2)

I am born of God, the evil one cannot touch me. (1 John 5:18)

I am not the great "I am" but by the grace of God, I am what I am. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

Because you are in Christ, every one of those characteristics is completely true view, and there's nothing you can do to make them more true. But you can make these traits more meaningful and productive in your life by simply choosing to believe what God has set about you. One of the greatest ways to help yourself grow in maturity in Christ is to continually remind yourself who you are in Him. Read the list once or twice a day for a week or two. The more you reaffirm who you are in Christ, the more your behavior will begin to reflect your true identity. If you're beginning to think you are someone special as a Christian, you're thinking right-you are special! Your specialness is not the result of anything you have done. It's all God's doing. What is the believers hope? That he will someday be changed in the Christ's image? That's part of it, but that's only a future hope. What is your hope for today and tomorrow? That your child of God now! And the person whose confidence is in being a child of God "purifies himself"-he begins to live according to his perception. Let me state that again: no person can consistently live in a manner that is inconsistent with how he perceives himself. You must see yourself as a child of God in order to live like a child of God. The blessed hope for the believer this side of the rapture is "Christ in you, the hope of glory." (Colossians 1:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment