Monday, January 11, 2010

Made Perfect in Weakness


Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. II Corinthians 12:8-9

We don't know what Paul's thorn in the flesh was, because he does not tell us. Some have suggested that it was malaria, epilepsy, or a disease of the eyes. Whatever the case, it was a chronic and the debilitating problem, which at times kept him from working. This thorn was a hindrance to his ministry, and he prayed for its removal; but God refused. Paul was a very self-sufficient person, so this thorn must have been very difficult for him. It kept Paul humble, reminded him of his need for constant contact with God, and benefited those around him as they saw God at work in his life. The fact that God's power is displayed in weak people should give us great courage. Though we may recognize our own limitations, we must rely on God for our effectiveness rather than simply on our own energy, effort, or talent. Our weakness, not only helps develop our character; it also deepens our worship, because in admitting our weakness, we affirm God's strength. God Bless you, J.H.

1 comment:

  1. How did you know I have been thinking about my weaknesses and praying for my back to get better??? This one really speaks to me.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment